Sunday, December 2, 2018

Birthday greetings to Ed

Ed Baisas with my daughter Janice and their daughter Arianne


by Susan Palmes-Dennis

Happy birthday to my son-in-law Edgar Baisas of SM Uptown, Cagayan de Oro.

As Ed celebrates his birthday today December 3, I can only be reminded of my first meeting with him 12 years ago.

He always ended his sentences with “po”, a Tagalog term of respect for elders. He was courteous then and kind, very soft spoken, clean and neat in appearance. The first time I saw him I mistook him for actors Gabby Concepcion or Albert Martinez. 

He was quite shy when I mentioned it to him since he is shy about his looks. Or maybe he is just humble. Ed is a kind soul and is always lending a hand to anyone who needs it.

Years ago while at the domestic airport  there was this  woman whose things fell to the ground which caused a distraction to travelers. Ed lost no time in helping her fetch her items.

Just recently when my husband Ronnie and I were at Ayala Centrio Mall heading to a donut outlet Ed saw and helped out a man in a wheelchair. 

At home, Ed is a loving Dad to my granddaughter Arianne, teaching her how to be independent and be attuned to the ways of life. 

On his day off he helps in the household chores with a smile and no complaints. He relaxes at his home playing the piano and he is very good at it. I came to know that his musical talent runs in his family.

Ed is a pure Manileno who grew up in Sampaloc, Manila. He graduated with a civil engineering degree from Mapua University and is very close to his late mother and to his nephews and nieces. 

Ed in striped shirt with Ronnie (center) and me and the rest of the family.
Ronnie describes Ed as good hearted and kind who treated him like his father.

He would always ask Ronnie what he needs before going to work and after work. 

Ed sports a ready smile on his face that reached his chinito eyes.

His entire career is dedicated unequivocally to SM. He has been assigned to nearly all SM branches nationwide and was even present during the opening of SM's China mall, having been picked for assignment there after his stint in SM Baguio.

He is a loving father and a caring husband who declined a promotion offered to him in Manila just to be with his family here in Cagayan de Oro. Ed endured seven years working in Manila alone just to continue supporting his family.

I never regretted giving my blessings to Ed when he asked the hand of my  daughter Janice  in marriage a decade ago. 

Today as he celebrates his birthday I wish him the  best of health, happiness and long life.  All the very best for you Ed Baisas.

Ed poses with Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno (center) and the rest of the SM officials

No comments:

Post a Comment